Monday, February 15, 2010

Virginia Reel Continued...

The Virginia Reel is an America folk dance that may have it's origins in Scottish or Irish dance.   George Washington's diaries reveal it to be one of his favorite dances.   I teach this dance to my 3rd - 6th graders each year and we dance it on Presidents day.   Although giggles and blushing overtake some students in the beginning, they soon enjoy the process of recreational dancing.  We discuss all the things folks did not have in Pres. Washington's time and compare then to now.   I would miss have electricity and indoor plumbing as well as my laptop, car and television but I think it would be fun to get together and dance a reel with friends as our primary form of entertainment.   Virginia Reel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments that are kind, courteous and thoughtful. Thanks.