Thursday, March 22, 2012


My schedule will change net year as I will be the only music teacher in our elementary system.  We are closing 2 of our 5 schools and consolidating.  I will have 3 schools and we are going to a 3 day rotation.   I will be at one school for a full day.  I've never had this so I'm pretty excited.  I have developed a new lesson plan form which I'm also excited about.  If you'd like to see it, you can go here:

One thing I really like is my POD, Piece of the day.   Right now, I have a POW, a piece of the week, but since I will see them less often, I'm changing it each day.   I decided to connect it to history but playing pieces by composers born in that month OR pieces that were #1 hits during that month is some year.  My favorite pop music is mid - late 60's so this way I can include lots of variety.  I will start with the oldest composer and move toward the newest music each month.  

They enter to this music and clap the rhythms I have displayed on my Heart Chart (Laurie Zentz) at the front of the room.  I have 4 rows of students and they clap the rhythm in their corresponding row.  

I'm tweaking March for next year right now and these are my pieces:

Spring - A. Vivaldi, born March 4, 1678
Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring Air - J. S. Bach, born March 21, 1685
Flight of BB - R. Korsokov, born March 18, 1844
In The Mood - G. Miller, born March 1, 1904
Rhythm of the Rain - Cascades, #1 in March 1963
These Boots Are Made for Walking - Nancy Sinatra, #1 March 1966
Dizzy - Tommy Roe, #1 March 1969 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave comments that are kind, courteous and thoughtful. Thanks.