Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Peter and the Wolf - 3 day plan!

Peter and the Wolf

Peter and the Wolf is one of my favorite ways to learn the orchestra. Children learn through story and they can hear and understand the character-instruments so well.

We listen to the whole piece the first lesson. I have a large book we watch while we listen. I have the instruments taped to a board with the name of the animal it plays. For his name, I write: Pro ☕ f = pro-coffee-f = Prokofiev. 
We also find Russia on a map.
The 2nd lesson, we illustrate our own scene as we listen to the piece again. At the end of class, the students share which scene their picture shows. We review the instrument players as we listen and draw.

The 3rd lesson we will watch the Disney version of the music and compare and contrast it to the book we viewed in the first lesson.


2 comments:

  1. Hi! Wonderful lesson. I was wondering, where you found the big book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I usually start with the view of the video and then review instruments, but love love love the idea of illustrating while they listen!

    ReplyDelete

Leave comments that are kind, courteous and thoughtful. Thanks.